Monday, December 15, 2014

On the Road Again

I am on day four of a road trip. The two biggest challenges I face are internet access and eating on the road. If you find yourself in this situation may I suggest vigilance.  I brought sprouted nuts and seeds to help get me going in the mornings along with a few berries.

I experimented with both kefir grains and a kefir starter culture. This meant two jars of milk andone for each method. I am sad to say the grains are not performing well (though this may be because they were frozen before the trip and need to be revived). Good news ... the culture starter is stellar. I started with one pack in a quart of milk in a mason jar and am using a bit of the kefir each day to start a new batch. I am working hard to keep them warm enough while "brewing" as December is cold almost everywhere. A cooler is a must!

For fast food I generally get a plain side salad (hold the croutons, cheese and dressing) and some kind of animal protein -- like a burger or chicken sandwich (hold the bun, cheese, ketchup and onions). Its fast cheap and decent. Try not to have expectations about the perfect meal. Enjoy the journey and fuel yourself the best you are able. Oh, and don't forget the water... Staying hydrated is half the battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment